Tuesday, 31 December 2013

Handheld devices in school, the iPad Do we really need this technology? Isn't it just a toy?

How does the iPad, a handheld device, impact education? Is it just another toy that will be obsolete in a short time? How can we use these fun devices as educational tools rather than having children simply play with them? I think these devices can be helpful to students in Elementary.

I have been introduced to the iPad this year and am quite excited about it for use in education. Before I started to examine the iPad I saw it simply as something young people ‘played with’, because that is what it looked like to me. It’s funny to think that I would think people were working when on their laptop, but playing when on their iPad or iPhone. It comes down to ignorance and experience for me. I had a laptop which I used for work so naturally I would think people were using laptops for work. Little handheld devices I was familiar with were game devices my kids had in the past, so I guess that’s where my idea of play came from with these little handheld devices. And off course, I didn’t spend any time thinking about these small devices.

If you find yourself wondering about the value of iPads in the classroom consider information from the videos, articles and some examples of apps which I would consider useful in my classroom, or other elementary classrooms.

Video: In this video we see students working on presentations. They are working in pairs and on their own and have only had the iPads for three weeks but are managing quite well. They certainly look engaged in their learning. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ONckr5bEw8

Video: Project your iPad onto your Mac or PC using reflector app tool, down load, open it up and you’ ll  project right onto mac or pc you’re using, and connect to your LCD so you can show a group of people.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-F9VjMzuqg

Video: This video shows students from lower elementary to high school using iPads in Chicago classrooms. . 23 schools in the Chicago area took part in this pilot project.  The results were positive with student engagement being evident throughout all age groups. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV8M6P9st9Q

Video: This video shows the basics for a new user of an iPad. Wow. I sure could have used this video when I got my iPod but I didn’t go to youtube with my questions in the past. Since we usually buy these tools without any help at the store on how to use them, this video would seem helpful to me. iPad basics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMht9_F3580

Video: There are APPs which can be used to make classrooms more inclusive. For example: suggested apps for autistic and nonverbal students: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGU1ELjS7bQ   I like this video even though it is an hour long. I like that the presenter shows the app and explains how they can be used along with the price. She has been an Occupational therapist with 25 years of experience of supporting many syudents.

Video: This video from the TV show,  60 minutes shows how the iPad has helped students with autism. It’s worth watching for teachers or parents of children with autism. The iPad is definitely a big help to many children with autism as it helps express their ideas in words when they can’t verbalize themselves. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3N1lVp27tU

Video: This video has teachers and students telling why they like the iPad and it shows some students using the iPad. Some of the same reasons I like the iPad are mentioned in the video, like the ease with which students can access apps and turn on the iPad and easily move the iPad from place to place. They also mention how they are helpful with EAL (English as an additional language) learners. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmulWr39yw4

Article: The following article from edutopia is a good reminder that teachers need to think about what their outcomes are before using the iPad apps with their students. Teachers need to learn how the apps they choose can support learning of the prescribed outcomes.  As mentioned in the article, teachers have been using apps in the classroom and have done some rating on the apps for school. http://www.edutopia.org/blog/apps-elementary-classroom-mary-beth-hertz

Article: Here is an article about 21st century learning. It’s not too early to consider these ideas when thinking of your child’s future. http://www.teachthought.com/learning/how-to-prepare-student-for-21st-century-survival/

Some apps I would want to use in my classroom to support writing in general but also reluctant writers:
(I have not included Math apps as I haven't checked many out yet.)

Sentence Builder is available from the Mobile Education Store for a cost of $5.99.  This application helps students learn how to build grammatically correct sentences and develop greater word recognition. There are lots of opportunities to choose connector words from words on a roller to match what is in the picture. The app reads the sentence when the student finishes the sentence. To view: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/sentencebuilder-for-ipad/id364197515?mt=8

$2.99, L’Escapadou:  Montessouri. To make words, a word is said and paired with a picture. There are three spaces (or more depending on the word complexity) for the letters to be dragged and dropped into the letter boxes.  When the letters are dragged from the alphabet at the bottom of the page and dropped into their correct spots the word is sounded out one letter at a time as the letter pops into its sequential place in the word.  The words go from consonant vowel consonant (CVC) words to words with beginning and ending blends, to r controlled words, to two syllable words etc. If students are not sure of the sound they can hear it just by touching the letter.  It would be useful to students at a variety of reading levels. The vowels are blue while the consonants are red which is helpful to students so long as they do not have any visual impairment.  https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/montessori-crosswords-spelling/id384334005

Co:Writer®is a writing tool that aids with phonetic/inventive spelling, grammar, and topic-related vocabulary. It has been used on computers for a number of years and is now available as an app. It is very useful for student who have difficulty writing but have reading skills to allow them to determine if the words that come up are what they want.  https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/co-writer/id674099732?mt=8
Book Creator. $4.99 For this price you can get a lot of writing mileage. It’a simple way to create your own beautiful iBooks, right on the iPad. You can type or draw in your words with your fingers and add pictures or videos, then play the books back or send them to family. You can also record you rvoice or another voice for the book.  https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/book-creator-for-ipad/id442378070?mt=8

Article: Finally, why we should and shouldn’t use iPads in the classroom. http://mgleeson.edublogs.org/2012/09/30/the-ipad-what-it-should-and-shouldnt-be-for-education/



No comments:

Post a Comment